Located on the south bank of the Congo River, Kinshasa is the vibrant capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo, and is distinguished above all by its incredibly varied topology of landscapes, housing a large fauna. If the mountain gorilla is king of the canopy, it is also possible to see lions, elephants, giraffes, zebras, etc., not to forget the extremely rare okapi, an endemic species of the country.
Lyon (LYS) - Kinshasa (FIH) flight
Book a LyonKinshasa flight from Lyon-Saint Exupéry
Throughout the year, flights with stopovers allow one to reach Kinshasa from Lyon. Take advantage of regular flights from Lyon-Saint Exupéry airport to discover the African continent.
Prepare your trip to Kinshasa
Formalities for travelling
To travel in peace in Kinshasa, EU citizens must ensure that:
- They hold a valid passport that is valid for another 6 months after the date of return;
- Possess a valid visa (visa applications to be made at the Embassy. The price of the visa will depend on the length of stay and the number of entries into the territory of the Democratic Republic of the Congo);
- Have a vaccination certificate, certifying yellow fever vaccination (vaccines required to enter the Democratic Republic of Congo).
For nationals outside the European Union: it is necessary to contact the embassy or consulate of the Democratic Republic of Congo in your country of origin. Formalities for access to the African territory may differ from country to country.
Services at Kinshasa Airport
- Services on Arrival
Banking: two banks are present in the terminal. An ATM is also available at the International Terminal. Please note that the local currency is the Congolese franc (CDF).
Vehicle rentals: counters for common international rental companies, such as Hertz, Avis, Europcar, and Interrent, are available in the terminal building.
Taxis: Express taxis await travellers in the airport car park. The fare is negotiable depending on the journey.
- Services on Departure
Shopping: various souvenir shops, offering a wide variety of items, are available to travellers in the International Departure Waiting Room.
Post: a post office is located within the terminal building.
Restaurants: the airport has several restaurants offering a varied Congolese and international gastronomy.
Telecommunications: a cyber cafe open to all allows one to consult email and browse the Internet while waiting for flights. Wi-Fi is available throughout the airport.
Transfer from airport to Kinshasa
Kinshasa airport is 25 kilometres south-east of the city. Various means of transportation make it possible to reach the city centre.
- Taxis: taxis are available 24 hours a day at the airport. They are sky-blue and yellow, in the image of the country’s colors. The price of the trip must be negotiated with the driver before getting into the vehicle. Prices vary depending on the direction of travel, time and distance.
- Public transit: the transit company Transco has a stop at the Kinshasa-Ndjili airport.
- Shuttle buses: Many hotels offer a free or paid shuttle service. They are to be booked directly with your hotel.